I imagine the answer is YES! As a woman, of course you want to be taken seriously. And sometimes you may feel you are not.
That being the case, do you think you may compound the likelihood of that happening?
For instance, by just going along with someone else’s plan, even though you know you would prefer something different or have other ideas (thinking that it’ s ‘not that important’); allowing another woman or a man to dominate the conversation without speaking up; by believing a piece of work/writing/ whatever has to be perfect before you present it to the world, and so either delaying it or not doing it at all; telling yourself that no-one would want to hear your thoughts or views. Do any of these examples resonate with you?
Perhaps the question is do you take yourself seriously? If you do not, why would you expect anyone else to do so? Your take on the matter definitely matters – and when you believe that, others will be more likely to do so too.
Here are some tips for taking yourself seriously:
- Be honest with yourself about what you think, feel and need. Even if it’s different from everyone else you know. Your unique contribution is important.
- Remember the energy you put out is a big ingredient of what you get back. If you are not being true to yourself, what you receive will not be in line with what you really want.
- Have fun with it! Periodically during the day, simply ask yourself what you feel, need, think or want. Just answering the question will assist you in validating yourself; you don’t necessarily have to do anything towards making anything happen.
- Who is the person in your life whose approval matters most? YOU, of course! Authenticity leads to self-approval.
- Remember the times when you have expressed yourself – that sweet spot where you are in alignment with your truth and expressing it. Didn’t it feel good?
CONFIDENCE is key. Loving yourself enough to express your truth requires confidence and a level of self-esteem. If that is one of the things which is stopping you, I can help.
See www.livingexcellently.co.uk/courses for my Female Fulfilment Coaching